A little comfort food today, American style.
Potatoes are one of my all-time favourite foods, since I can’t eat most carbs like rice, quinoa, grains etc, potatoes are where it’s at for me.
Tater tots are the traditional American comfort junk food, and of course, they go perfectly with the paleo ketchup I posted last week!
I remember as a kid the boxes of frozen potato balls, basically tater tots but we don’t really call them that here in Australia!
You can freeze them for a quick breakfast or lazy meal. They can easily be made into hash browns (which I also have a recipe for here) by using a baking tray and egg rings to shape them, with the rest of the instructions the same.
- 3kg / 6.5 lb organic potatoes (about 8 cups), roughly chopped into 1" chunks
- 1.5 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1⁄2 tsp pepper
- Add potatoes and 1⁄2 tsp salt to a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Turn down to medium heat and boil for 10-15 minutes until just soft enough to poke with a knife. Be careful not to overcook or you will end up with mash. You don’t want them fully cooked, just par boiled. Drain.
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F. Prepare 2 x 24 cup non-stick mini muffin pans (like this one).
- Add potatoes, coconut oil, 1⁄2 tsp salt and pepper to food processor and pulse until roughly chopped into small pieces.
- Press the potato mixture into the mini muffin cups.
- Bake for 20 - 30 minutes until golden brown.
- To freeze: Bake for 20 minutes, freeze in the pan,
- pop them out and place in a container or bag in the freezer. To cook again remove from the freezer, lay on a baking tray and bake for 10 - 15 minutes.