Remember how good canned beets taste on a salad? Well, here’s the real, whole food version of those canned beets!
These quick pickled beets are simple, tasty and incredibly good for you. Just look at that beautiful beet color! Plus, the beets are filled with apple cider vinegar, which is a great digestive aid.
Use the beets liberally on salads and in lettuce wraps. And because the liquid that’s left is basically just apple cider vinegar, coloured with beets and a little sugar added, you can use the leftover liquid in salad dressings, in place of apple cider vinegar.
- 4 - 5 beet roots (leaves removed about 1 inch above the beet)
- apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar or sucanat
- Add the beets to a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Drain the beets and leave in a colander to cool for 20 or so minutes.
- Grab a 1 litre / 1 quart jar and add the sugar. Add some apple cider vinegar and shake until the sugar dissolves.
- Use your hands to peel off the skin, it should easily slide off now. Trim the tail and stems. Slice the beets and place them into the jar.
- Cover the beets with apple cider vinegar.
- Place the beets in the fridge for at least a couple of hours so the beets absorb the apple cider vinegar.