This pasta sauce is beautifully simple. Just fresh veggies and a few seasonsings, chucked in the oven and you’ve got a delicious, whole food Italian sauce – no bottled crap!
Roasting it brings out the flavour, especially in the tomatoes, while also reducing the liquid from the tomatoes for a thicker sauce.
This sauce ticks all the right boxes. It has no added sugar (or preservatives and colors). It has a ton of veggies packed into it. I can control the flavouring (and add as much garlic as possible – why does nothing ever taste garlicky enough?).
This sauce is also great because it takes about 10 minutes total time – a few minutes to chop the veggies and throw it in the oven and a few minutes to process it all up in the food processor.
Try it with some meat or fish, on some zucchini or sweet potato pasta – a spiraliser is a handy tool for that.
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F.
- Add tomatoes, onions, capsicum, zucchinis in a baking tray (preferably glass for easy cleaning).
- Wrap garlic bulb in foil and place in the baking tray.
- Sprinkle salt and italian seasoning over the veggies, then drizzle them with oil.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven and let it cool down for 30 minutes.
- In a food processor, add the veggies (including juices) and basil. Remove garlic from the foil and squeeze the gooey garlic insides out from the skin into the food processor.
- Process until desired consistency. You could blend in a Vitamix if you want a smooth sauce.