Back when I was still at school, Ash and I lived off the ‘blue box’ mac n cheese. You know, the one that magically transforms from a powder into a delicious creamy and cheesy meal. I look at that mac n cheese now with nothing but suspicion. How do they make it into a powder?!? It’s funny how people don’t question that!
Well those days are long over, but I think this mac n’ cheese comes pretty close to the one I remember. And this one is made from vegetables, not powder! Nothing to feel guilty about here. I always try to sneak in as many veggies in a dish as I can, and this one is a perfect example!
- 9oz-12oz / 250g-350g gluten free macaroni pasta
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes OR ¼ cup fresh parley, chopped
- 1½ cups cauliflower OR white beans (eg. cannellini)
- 1½ cups sweet potato, diced
- 1 cup nutritional yeast (nooch)
- ¾ cup almond milk OR no-chicken stock
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- ½ tsp paprika
- Optional veggies: steamed broccoli, kale or peas
- In a medium pot and steamer bring water to a boil. Steam sweet potato and cauliflower until soft, about 10-15 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to packet directions. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, add everything except the pasta and parsley to a blender and blend until smooth (I use a Vitamix).
- Combine cooked pasta, blender cheese sauce, and parsley in the pot or a large bowl.
Use the code ZIV994 at iHerb and get up to $10 off your first order.