My favourite kind of food is simple food. And these are so beautifully simple, unbelievably yummy and seriously healthy that you’ll think I’m lying.
Who can be bothered making complicated (and gummy) gluten-free wraps, or eating those rice or corn store bought pieces of cardboard, or even worse – eating gluten itself because you can’t find a good replacement (GASP!).
When all along, there was a simple and healthier alternative that works beautifully – thank God for lettuce!
My secret to making these wraps not feel “healthy” and boring and still have that bread-y, carb-yness to them: baked potato slices. Seriously, you have to try it for yourself to believe it, but they almost taste bread-like in these wraps.
Get ready for your new lunch obsession!
STEP 1: Start with two big lettuce leaves – you can use one, but if that one tears you’re screwed.
STEP 2: Add some of your mashed avocado and egg salad to the top half of the lettuce leaf.
STEP 3: Next, add you’re salad bits, the grated carrot, grated beet, tomato, onion, capsicum, baked potato and whatever else you want to add – don’t overstuff it too much!
STEP 4: Rip those big stems off the bottom half of the lettuce leaves and fold them over the salad.
STEP 6: Wrap the sides of the lettuce leaves around. You’re done! Enjoy.
- 1 medium potato (I prefer red skinned Desiree’s)
- 1 - 2 large organic free-range eggs, boiled *
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- 1 small avocado
- ½ lemon, juice
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- ¼ red capsicum, diced (optional)
- 1 tomato, diced or sliced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- ½ beet, grated
- Slice the potato and lay the slices on a baking tray. Drizzle a little bit of oil (coconut oil is good) on them and pop them in the oven on about 180°C for about 30 minutes, flipping them half way through.
- Wash the lettuce leaves and prep other ingredients.
- In one bowl, mash the egg and some sauerkraut (I also add a little flax seed oil).
- In another bowl, mash the avocado and lemon juice, then add the onion and capsicum.
- Lay the lettuce down and add the avocado mix, then the egg mix, then the remaining ingredients.